For contractors, material and equipment theft is one of the major sources of loss. Sure, insurance might offset some of these costs, many uninsured costs, replacing depreciated items with new ones, paperwork, production delays and replacing stolen items are all paid by contractors.
Needless to say, proper planning is essential for construction security if you want to prevent theft of valuable construction tools and materials.
If you are contractor or subcontractor, you’ll surely benefit from these tips to enhance the security of your construction site:-
• Before the project commences, create a security plan for the job site. Also, make sure to create a security policy in writing that’s specific to the job site.
• Assign security responsibilities to supervisors and spread security awareness among all workers. If there are any properties in the neighbourhood, communicate with them and encourage them to report any suspicious activities.
• Identify the property and assets onsite. After that, create an inventory and track them on a regular basis.
• Use proper fencing to secure the perimeter. This will not only create the first line of defence but will also maintain a clear zone adjacent to the fencing.
• Secure vehicles, lock up equipment and install kill switches to disable the ignitions.
• Create only one access point and control access to the site by establishing and monitoring it. Also, make sure to control vehicle access and provide parking areas for the employees outside of the construction site.
• To effectively deter vandalism and theft, make sure that the job site has sufficient lighting at all times.
• Ask the workers to also undertake some responsibility for maintaining a secure site. They should immediately report any incidents of vandalism or theft.
• Hire a security guard in Toronto and have them patrol the job site. Also, you need to provide them with a means of communication.
• To capture vehicles entering and exiting your site, install a video monitoring system.
Needless to say, you can address most of these issues by yourself. If you need help with the rest of the aspects of construction security, it’s best to hire a security company that has expertise in construction security.
Options are innumerable when it comes to security companies which is why it can be a bit tricky finding the right one. Precisely for this reason, you need to scout the market properly along with comparing several of these companies to find one which suits your preferences and budget.